Saturday, November 14, 2020

Learning the Nepalese language-Can You Do It?

Many travelers enjoy learning languages along the way and learning a bit of Nepali is a great way to ingratiate yourself with the local people you’ll meet. Merchants and other Nepalese you meet will appreciate it if you speak a word or two of their language. When you make a phone call and the person isn’t available the recording says, ‘Mof garnuu ho la.’ ‘Sorry about that.’ If I’m walking in a crowd and accidentally bump into someone I like to say that. It puts a smile on their face every time. Nepal has many spoken languages, over 120. In fact, Nepali is not the native language of the majority of Nepalese, even though its the national language. It’s actually a pleasant language, though. Sometimes when I hear people outside talking the chatter just sounds like my native English. I’ve heard languages spoken that were more guttural and one that reminded me of the spitting sound. Nepali is much more pleasant. That being said, I have to confess that it is the most difficult language for me to learn. I learned enough Italian in just a few weeks to be able to understand a conversation, but Nepali is much harder for me. I still don’t know many words, and when I try to say something in Nepali it seldom comes out right, but I have fun with it and have incorporated a few words into my vocabulary. Surprisingly, I can read Sanskrit, which uses most of the same symbols. If you speak Hindi you won’t be able to understand Nepali, but most Nepalese will be able to communicate with you in Hindi. Here’s our Doodly video on just a few words to know if you are coming to Nepal. If you would like to stay in Nepal for a longer time you can get a student visa to learn Nepali. If you do take this visa you will need to take you studies very seriously; if you fail to pass the class you may be denied a ‘tourist’ visa. There are some similarities to Japanese, so if you speak Japanese you may have an easier time with it, but it has a reputation for being a difficult language for most foreigners. If your reason for wanting to learn Nepali is to stay in Nepal longer, I noticed there is an Ayurveda Department at the university, which may be less of a challenge. This would be an international degree, taught entirely in English, an awesome addition to anyone in yoga, coaching, massage therapy or other healing kinds of professions. Note that there is COVID insurance required, so if you haven’t shopped for your travel insurance please click on the link below. Proceeds go to fund our NGO, Kay Garnay for Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment