Thursday, March 7, 2013

It's Spring in Nepal! Birds are Everywhere

Soaring Eagle
Yesterday afternoon suddenly morphed into a magical time for me around my apartment. As I sat for my afternoon break, thunder began to roll across the sky constantly for a couple of minutes at a time. Seriously, no breaks during these moments, no visible lightning-just that deep growling sound from the heavens. My house guest, Razz, had mentioned that it looked like rain and I agreed. 

As I listened to the thunder I sat in my guest bedroom/den and looked out my picture window toward the farmland and shrouded the Himalayas in the distance, I noticed a bird with blue wings land on a post in a nearby farm. By the time I got my camera the bird was gone. My camera seems to be psychically connected to birds; they seem to sense it and fly away as soon as I turn it on.

As I continued to watch here came the cowbirds. They all perched on the wooden fence posts and such while they waited for the storm to pass. Then the crows came, followed by a couple other varieties, all waiting for the storm to come and go. They all sat it out so nicely. And then after about 20 minutes the rain stopped and they all went on their way. During this little afternoon break I saw a total of six different varieties of birds. Even an eagle came so close I could see the drama between the eagle and a crow that chased him off.


Last year I wrote a blog about bird watching and couldn't hardly find a bird. But since then I've become so fascinated with birds I do my best to capture one of these critters before they get away every chance I get.

This is the little bird that is so common in Bhaktapur, but I don't know the name.
If you are a fan of birds and want to deepen your appreciation for them, I highly recommend bringing a pair of binoculars with you from home and never leave them in your room. If you do, that will be the time you come across a flock of something really amazing, like a tree full of parakeets or something.


This swallow came right into the local restaurant I was eating at. In my book I advise against eating at any restaurant that does not have a normal, front door. Many restaurants just have a metal, pull-down store front. These do not always have running water, so they can be a health issue. I use a bit of my own precautions and have not had a problem with the 'Kathmandu Quick Step' for more than a year. But if you have a short time to be here don't waste your days in your guest house room to save a few rupee.You can have your guest house manager send for a doctor, or you can find a couple of referrals in Nepal: A Tourist's Manual. You can actually have a doctor come to your room for under $10.


If you would like to see a page full of birds from Nepal take a look at this site. It's just pictures: https://www.google.com.np/search?q=birds+of+Nepal&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Icn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=akA5UbaYEMj-rAe734CQBA&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=619

I am equally as fascinated with insects. Nepal has some beautiful little guys from the insect kingdom, too. There do not seem to be many insects that tourists need to worry about, other than the mosquito in the lower elevation. They tell me that even the spiders are harmless in the KTM Valley. 

Hugest Earwig I've ever seen

Here is a bug in a rice field
This little beetle reminded me of a lady bug, also here in Nepal

Did you know I wrote an eBook filled with tips on getting the most out of your visit to Nepal?


Satisfaction Guaranteed: NO FINE PRINT. If you don't truly love Nepal: A Tourist’s Manual, please send for 100% money back. If you are not completely satisfied just send your purchase information along with a note to: FrugalTravelsNepal@gmail.com

Nepal: A Tourist’s Manual-For more information check out our website. If you enjoy this blog and the website you will enjoy the 299 page eBook. It is a well illustrated, easy read with over 1,000 tips to help you get the most out of Nepal.


Visit my website: Nepal: A Tourist's Manual

No comments:

Post a Comment